[OpenWrt-Devel] uClibc-ng

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:23:46 UTC 2014

Hello,

(adding uclibc and Bernhard)

> Hello Embedded Linux Hackers,
>
> it seems there is no plan to release a new uClibc version.
> The current maintainer does not response on any public or private mails
> about a plan to do a needed release. Therefore most of you carrying a lot
> of patches against uClibc 0.9.33.2 to make it work in your project.
> A really ugly situation.

Although I do welcome your action, and stepping in to offer a solution
to this, I feel like forking might have the potential of making this
situation worse, including, but not limited to:

- creating confusion between uclibc and uclibc-ng
- pissing off Bernhard
- duplicating existing infrastructure instead of gaining access to it
- what if you end up in the same situation as uClibc, we all have busy lives?

Thomas and I talked to Khem Raj about this uClibc situation during ELC
back in June, and Khem offered some help to see if we could:

- make Bernhard aware of the lack of release situation
- use his uclibc.org access to facilitate a 0.9.34? release

> To get out of this situation I started a spin-off called uClibc-ng.
> The website for the project is here: http://www.uclibc-ng.org
> Beta 3 is tagged and downloadable via
> http://downloads.uclibc-ng.org/uClibc-ng-1.0.0beta3.tar.xz
>
> If you want a 1.0 in the near future please test and report back any
> issues. You can use the bug tracker, the mailing list or dicussion forum
> to report back. To prevent spam you need to be subscribed or registered.
>
> I have added most of the patches from your projects on top of uClibc
> master.
>
> Thanks
>  Waldemar

Florian