[Buildroot] mtd issue

Joseph M Dupre (AVAB Inc.) dupre at avab.com
Thu Oct 27 20:24:23 UTC 2005

On 27 Oct 2005 at 11:45, uclibc-request at uclibc.org wrote:

>> uses the last stable release from January. The thing is that
>> buildroot's makefile gives no easy way to compile a different version
>> of mtd, since it is looking for a specific file
>> (mtd_20050122.orig.tar.gz). It would be much easier if it was trying
>> to open mtd* or something like that. Would it be possible to change
>> that in the futur ?

> If you need a newer version, manually change that line in the
> Makefile to point to a new version.  In this case you will
> need to change MTD_SITE also.  Look at another package like
> busybox that uses a snapshot.  Then try to compile it, edit
> the Makefile as need be so it works with the new version, and
> then submit a patch.

I looked into updating the mtd tools mechanism in buildroot, but the
problem is there is no permanent ftp repository.  You can get daily
snapshots, but they are only saved for the current month:

ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/people/dwmw2/mtd/cvs/

Is it possible to use cvs in buildroot to retrieve source perhaps?

It wouldn't be too dificult to have it retrieve the current snapshot
based on the date though:
TODAY='date +%Y%m%d'
SNAPSHOT=mtd-snapshot-$TODAY.tar.bz2

- Joe