A puzzle...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Oct 16 07:19:47 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 October 2005 02:25, Khem Raj wrote:
> Steven J. Hill wrote:
> > See if you can spot what's different...
> > ../../lib/ld-uClibc.so.0
> > _dl_get_ready_to_run:317: calling mprotect on the application program
> > _dl_get_ready_to_run:638: Loading: (0x2aaf2000) /opt/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
> > _dl_load_elf_shared_library:682: parsed TLS program header
>
> You got NPTL running ! great job Steve

And now I've got a question:

If I run this under User Mode Linux (where TLS doesn't work yet), will it fall
back sanely or will it barf the way glibc does?

I have to set the environment variabke LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 to use the new
-skas0 mode in UML 2.6.13.  Yes, glibc can run just fine without TLS, but if
I don't lie to it and say "I'm using a really old kernel that doesn't support
TLS" then it tries to initialize TLS, fails, spits out an error message, and
exits.  (No "fall back to don't use it", it just dies with an error
message...)

I could understand if this was a compile time "TLS only" thing, but the fact
that glibc works just fine without it if I set an _environment_variable_, but
the default action of its probe is to exit()...

Sigh.

Rob