booting target device.

Devin Bayer devin at freeshell.org
Mon Oct 10 20:07:58 UTC 2005

Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm in the process of creating/testing the root filesystem on my
> target device. Linux boots up, and goes through all the init scripts
> that are there successfully except it doesn't produce a login screen. If
> however I boot with single in the kernel commandline, and then manually
> run the /etc/init.d/rcS file, it goes through these same init scripts,
> and gives me a login prompt.

Usually the login prompt isn't provided by the init scripts,
but by the /etc/inittab file.  The important lines are those
containing getty:

	tty0::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty0
	tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

If you have those lines and are still not getting a login
prompt, then maybe the init scripts are never finishing.  Try
chaning all the "respawn" entries to "askfirst" and all the
"sysinit" entries to "once".  That should start the getties
even if the init isn't finished.  But I'm not sure how it will
work with udev. Perhaps you will need a line like:

	::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty0

- Devin Bayer