Why was netcat reverted?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 27 02:22:50 UTC 2010

On Sunday 27 June 2010 03:55, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> But rants aside... I will make it so that it will be possible
> to select "your" or "mine/compatible/bloated" nc with dedicated
> CONFIG_NC_110_COMPAT option. You can set it to off.
> Does this solve the problem for you?

Committed.

Now, with CONFIG_NC_110_COMPAT=y

Usage: nc [OPTIONS] HOST PORT  - connect
nc [OPTIONS] -l -p PORT [HOST] [PORT]  - listen

        -e PROG Run PROG after connect (must be last)
        -l      Listen mode, for inbound connects
        -p PORT Local port
        -s ADDR Local address
        -w SEC  Timeout for connects and final net reads
        -i SEC  Delay interval for lines sent
        -n      Don't do DNS resolution
        -u      UDP mode
        -v      Verbose
        -o FILE Hex dump traffic
        -z      Zero-I/O mode (scanning)

and without:

Usage: nc [-iN] [-wN] [-l] [-p PORT] [-f FILE|IPADDR PORT] [-e PROG]

Open a pipe to IP:PORT or FILE

        -e PROG Run PROG after connect
        -l      Listen mode, for inbound connects
                (use -l twice with -e for persistent server)
        -p PORT Local port
        -w SEC  Timeout for connect
        -i SEC  Delay interval for lines sent
        -f FILE Use file (ala /dev/ttyS0) instead of network

--
vda