[RFC] tar --to-command

Ladislav Michl Ladislav.Michl at seznam.cz
Fri Jun 18 09:11:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:41:08AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Friday 18 June 2010 02:15, Ladislav Michl wrote:
> > Above is typicaly fed with firmware file over ssh:
> > ssh -l root <target_ip> "fw_install -" < fwfile
>
> This adds an incompatible option to tar.

True, I'm not aware of any other tar implementation, except GNU's supporting
it.

> > Patch bellow is the very first draw adding support for --to-command into
> > busybox' tar. Comments and suggestions welcome.
>
> I hesitate to add options and features which are not provided
> by upstream utilities.

Here it depends what do you mean by upstream. I'm currently using GNU tar
to get this functionality, but it is over ~200k itself.

http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Writing-to-an-External-Program.html#SEC84

After all, there is "RFC" in subject and I'm going to make it clean and nice
only in case there is a chance to be merged upstream ;-)

	ladis