I am switching to using Aboriginal Linux's toolchain for testing

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jun 9 18:12:20 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 08:48:31 Nils Carlson wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2010, at 9:46 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> > This past weekend I got a new server put together that I'm going to
> > start the
> > nightly snapshot builds again, and when I do I can not only build
> > busybox-git
> > for each architecture, but also run the test suite on it under qemu
> > from the
> > cron job.
> >
> > The hard part is actually figuring out what reporting format you'd
> > want the
> > results in...
>
> If you're looking into output format for tests I recommend TAP - test
> anything protocol. Lots of parsers exist and the format is completely
> readable by itself.
> see the tap homepage testanything.org for more info.

Interesting, but that would be more a question of modifying the busybox test
suite to produce different output.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

1) raw dump of the build log and test suite output, or try to clean it up into
some kind of pass/fail thing you can glance at just to see regressions?

2) Post it on a web page?  Email it out somewhere from the cron job?  Use scp
to send it to a directory on busybox.net...?

Not _big_ decisions, mostly a question of what would be most useful to Denys.
And before I do that, I have to finish setting up the server and getting the
cron job running again.  (It turns out that you _can_ drive the server OOM
with enough parallelism in your build, even with 8 gigs.  And when you do
that, the OOM killer does not reliably trigger before the box locks up until
you can get home and press the little button.  Good to know.)

> /Nils

Rob

P.S.  Yes, this is why they invented the watchdog timer.  No, I'd rather not
open that can of worms, but would prefer to avoid driving the server OOM in
the first place.  And/or get the OOM killer working again...)
--
GPLv3: as worthy a successor as The Phantom Meanace, as timely as Duke Nukem
Forever, and as welcome as New Coke.