I am switching to using Aboriginal Linux's toolchain for testing

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:53:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2010 01:19:32 Natanael Copa wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
> wrote:

>> > I was using a home-built uclibc toolchain for busybox test builds,
>> Alpine Linux is a good option if x86 is enough.
>
> Ubuntu is a fairly reasonable option if x86 is enough.

They don't provide uclibc toolchain or did i miss something?

>> It will even let
>> you run things like wine, qemu, vserver kernel etc.
>
> I.E. you have a distro.

yes. I know.

> Aboriginal Linux is intentionally not a Linux distro.  It's just a build
> environment.

yes. I know.

> If you want to take a Linux From Scratch approach to your build, go for it.

Seems like thats what Denys wants.

For those who don't want that, alpine linux provides a full
uclibc/busybox distro with precompiled packages, including x86
toolchain.

>> I'd say its a pretty good option if you'd really want eat your own dogfood.
>>
>> http://alpinelinux.org
>
> You are aware I'm the guy who made using busybox as part of a development
> environment possible in the first place, right?  Back when Aboriginal Linux was
> called Firmware Linux?

ofcourse Rob, I know who you are.

> (But in this case, I suspect what Denys was actually looking for is cross-
> platform regression testing, and the ability to reproduce and fix bugs on
> hardware he hasn't got, using QEMU.)

I'm just telling there are more options, even if aboriginal  linux
seems to be the best job for denys job.

If x86 is all you need, then you *can* run a fairly capable x86 distro
based on uclibc/busybox which includes a native x86 uclibc toolchain.
There are not too many selfhosting/selfbuilding uclibc/busybox distros
out there, but Alpine Linux is one of those.

Oh, I think you can run the aboriginal linux build environment on the
alpine linux distro too nowdays. (i tried it too while it was called
firmwarelinux but bumped into something in uclibc-nptl that needed
newer gcc or something)

--
Natanael Copa