I am switching to using Aboriginal Linux's toolchain for testing

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jun 8 19:46:50 UTC 2010

On Monday 07 June 2010 22:01:47 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I was using a home-built uclibc toolchain for busybox test builds,
> but recent support for date's %N format turned out a small problem
> with my uclibc headers.
>
> Thus, it's time to upgrade my toolchain.
>
> Since building of a toolchain continues to be a non-trivial task,
> I decided to stop doing it myself (poorly), and start using
> Rob's Aboriginal Linux:
>
> http://impactlinux.com/aboriginal/

Cool. :)

> since he invested a lot of his time to make it work correctly.
> Also, I will be able to build non-x86 busybox at least
> for build testing (which up to now I wasn't usually doing).

This past weekend I got a new server put together that I'm going to start the
nightly snapshot builds again, and when I do I can not only build busybox-git
for each architecture, but also run the test suite on it under qemu from the
cron job.

The hard part is actually figuring out what reporting format you'd want the
results in...

> I an building Aboriginal Linux from source, of course.
> See README in its tarball if you want to do the same.
>
> I built i686 and x86_64 toolchains and discovered than both
> resulting native and cross-toolchains are relocatable
> and most toolchain binaries are statically linked (except ldd),

I believe I've fixed ldd in the -hg repo.  I'm hoping to get the next release
out this weekend, but since I'm working on the 1.0 release I've been trying to
get sparc static linking fixed, arm big endian working, beat the remaining bugs
out of mips64, undo the sh4 regressions (which may actually be in qemu, not
sure yet)...

I should just hold my nose and ship 1.0. :)

> thus I can copy them form directory to directory and from system
> to system and it still works.

That was an explicit design goal, yes.  If you find any other bugs (like ldd
not being statically linked), let me know.

Thanks,

Rob
--
GPLv3: as worthy a successor as The Phantom Meanace, as timely as Duke Nukem
Forever, and as welcome as New Coke.